Pages

December 3, 2012

James Francis Hurley (1885 - 1962)

| | 6 comments

File:Endurance trapped in pack ice.jpg 

Today's post will not involve photos by me.

Instead, I would like to show you Frank Hurley's amazing wartime photography that I learned about in one of my university modules called War, Media and Terrorism.

This Australian photographer is describes as a true adventurer. For example, in 1911, he went off to Antarctica for an expedition. (he also ran away from home at the age of 14!)

Here is his later work as an honorary captain of Australian Imperial Force during WWI. I find these  fascinating because he montaged these images, by putting one layer of film over another to create a comprehensive representation of the battle scene. 

Of course they are portraying destruction, death and suffering but in their own way aren't they beautiful?
http://www.greatwar.nl/hurley/sentinels.jpgFrank Hurley, The dawn of Passchendaele, © Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Waleshttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8_ENa7sVpug/SSeWecjtGTI/AAAAAAAACZE/TwATSS1Qnx4/s400/voorpagina24.jpg
Frank Hurley - The Battle of the Menin Road, 1917/18, © Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales


  

6 comments:

  1. His Antarctica picture reminds me of my father's - he spent there lots of time for his biological researches and took hundreds of pictures. Unusual experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your father is one lucky person, I think you don't forget that kind of experience. And how many people in the world get to say they've been to Antarctica anyway - very few I'm assuming!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thanks for sharing these! They're absolutely breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it :)cThank you for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  4. Sensationnal pictures :O

    New post on :
    Http://Fashioneiric.blogspot.com

    Coline.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, Спасибо, Danke, Děkuji, Merci for your comments ;)